Exclusive Pet Travel

Call us now 0800 012 9199


We can take your pet pretty much anywhere. You’ll find information on some of the most common destinations on the map. But if you’re going somewhere else just let us know and we’ll explain what you need to do.

We regularly update the information on our website, but if you want the official and most up-to-date facts, try the government’s DEFRA website

globe icon

If your chosen destination doesn’t appear - don’t worry! Our team are waiting to help, if you have any questions just call us on 0800 012 9199


Since 2014, cats and dogs travelling to Australia no longer require 30 days in quarantine. The quarantine period is now 10 days.

The Rabies Neutralising Anti-body Titre Test (RNAT) are still requirements and there is still a waiting period.

Rabies vaccination and testing

Your cat or dog must be vaccinated against rabies at least 6 months before you travel. The vaccination must still be valid at the time of leaving the UK (3 year rabies vaccine is accepted) and pets must be more than 3 months old at the time of vaccination.

Your cat or dog will then need to have the RNAT test, and this must be carried out at least 6 months before you travel, and no more than 24 months before you travel.

Cats coming from Australia

Cats coming from Australia to the UK will need a certificate from the Australian veterinary authorities confirming they have not been exposed to the Hendra virus during the 60 days before they travel.


Paperwork and requirements

The UK is designated rabies-free by Canada, so they don’t currently impose quarantine on cats or dogs coming from the UK. However, there are some paperwork and vaccination requirements.

Rabies vaccinations

Dogs between 3 and 8 months may enter Canada if they have rabies certification. This means they must have a rabies vaccination certificate or a veterinary certificate.

Dogs less than 3 months old don’t require rabies certification. However, proof of the dog's age must be provided on request.

Canada is not rabies free. Rabies vaccinations are recommended for dogs 3 months or older coming to Canada. Dogs less than 3 months must not be vaccinated against rabies to protect animal health.

The EU pet passport is an acceptable alternative to the rabies vaccination certificate.

We’d recommend that your pet be fully inoculated with all the necessary vaccinations, regardless of where you’re travelling. If your pet doesn’t meet the Canadian rabies import requirements, you will need to pay for vaccination against rabies within a specified period of time and provide the vaccination record to a Canadian Food Inspection Agency office.

Don’t forget the USA!

If you want to take your pet across the land border to the USA once you’re living in Canada you’ll need to show proof of your rabies vaccination.


Dogs and cats from Cyprus, may enter or re-enter the UK without a blood test. However, animals travelling from north Cyprus must be blood tested at least 30 days after vaccination against rabies and wait 3 months before travelling to the UK.

Countries in the EU

Pet passports

If your cat or dog is travelling from the UK to another EU country, they’ll need a pet passport, which you’ll be able to get from your vet. To qualify for a pet passport your pet must:

  1. Be microchipped.
  2. Have a rabies vaccination.
  3. Have waited 21 days after the rabies vaccination before leaving the UK.


Your pet’s microchip must be fitted before the rabies vaccination. Your vet will record the microchip number on your pet’s passport. Please note that all dogs in the UK must be microchipped by April 2016 regardless of whether they plan to travel or not.

If your pet has an ID tattoo it wont need to be microchipped – providing it meets the below requirements

  • The tattoo is clearly legible.
  • Your pet was vaccinated against rabies after it was tattooed.
  • Your pet was tattooed before 3 July 2011.

Rabies vaccinations

You’ll need to wait 21 days after the rabies vaccination before your pet can leave the UK to travel to another EU country. After the first vaccination as long as you keep up with the booster requirements your pet can travel freely within the EU.

Other paperwork needed to travel within the EU

Each time you travel, you’ll always need to visit the vet for a ‘Fit to fly’ letter. This is a letter from your vet stating that your pet has been examined and is fit to fly. It must also be issued no more than 10 days before you travel, be dated and prepared on Vet’s official paper. Certain countries might require other paperwork. Talk to us about your plans and we’ll let you know what you need.

Hong Kong

Paperwork and requirements

To enter Hong Kong your cat or dog will need:

  • A DEFRA Export Health Certificate.
  • An import permit issued by the Hong Kong’s agriculture, fisheries and conservation department.
  • Your cat or dog must be over 60 days of age.
  • They must also be implanted with a microchip.

Vaccinations for cats

Cats need the following vaccinations no more than 12 months and no less than 10 days before the day of travel.

  • Feline pan leukcopenia.
  • Feline respiratory disease complex.

Vaccinations for dogs over 12 weeks of age

Your dog will need the following vaccinations no more than 12 months and no less than 10 days before the day of travel.

  • Canine distemper virus.
  • Canine parvovirus.
  • Infectious canine hepatitis.

Vaccinations for puppies under 12 weeks of age

Your dog will need the following vaccinations no less than 10 days before you travel, with the animal being at least 6 weeks of age at the time.

  • Canine distemper
  • Canine parvovirus
  • Infectious canine hepatitis

Rabies vaccinations

Cats don’t require a rabies vaccination before they travel to Hong Kong. All dogs will be vaccinated against rabies when they arrive in Hong Kong so no need to be vaccinated before arrival. Upon arrival a Hong Kong Dog License is also issued.


The following dog breeds are not permitted into Hong Kong:

  • Dogo Argentino.
  • Fila Brazileiro.
  • Japanese Tosa.
  • Any dog of the type known as Pit Bull Terrier.
  • Any crosses of the above.

Pregnant dogs cannot travel to Hong Kong unless they are less than 4 weeks pregnant.

Cats and dogs must have been a continuous resident in the UK for at least 6 months before you travel, or since birth, or since the animal was directly imported from Hong Kong.


Jamaica is a qualifying country under EU regulations, however Jamaican law means that the country isn’t involved in the Pet Travel Scheme. Every pet imported into Jamaica must have an import permit issued by the Veterinary Division of the Ministry of Agriculture in Jamaica. Animals are inspected at point of entry and quarantined for no less than 14 days.


Bringing dogs and cats from Malaysia

You’ll need health certification provided by the Malaysian veterinary authorities which confirms that your cat or dog has not

  • During the 60 days before travel had contact with pigs.
  • During the 60 days before travel been resident on holdings where any case of Nipah disease has been confirmed.

In addition your pet must

  • Have had an IgC capture ELISA test with a negative result. This must be carried out in a laboratory approved for testing for antibody against the Nipah disease viruses by the competent veterinary authorities on a sample of blood taken within 10 days of export.

New Zealand

Paperwork and requirements

General rules for dogs and cats are that:

  • Your pet must be free of quarantine restrictions.
  • They must be over 16 weeks of age at the date of departure.
  • They must be no more than 42 days pregnant at the date of departure.
  • You may also need an import certificate.


There are several tests your pet will need to undergo, including blood tests. The identity of your pet will also need to be confirmed by microchip each time a treatment, vaccine or test is performed, as well as at the time of export certification.

Dogs and cats do not need to be quarantined on arrival, but will need to stay home-based for the first 30 days. Once in New Zealand, dogs are required to be registered annually. There are rules about dog control, and some places do not permit dog or cat ownership to protect the natural environment.


Certain breeds are wholly restricted from New Zealand. If your dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Japanese Tosa or Brazilian Fila, it will not be granted entry into the country.

The MAF Biosecurity New Zealand website is really helpful and may help answer specific questions.

South Africa

Paperwork and requirements

You’ll need a veterinary import permit to take a dog or cat into South Africa.

Paperwork and requirements for cats

Cats are not routinely quarantined on arrival in South Africa. However, your cat will need:

  • A valid import permit.
  • A correctly completed health certificate, signed and stamped by a government veterinarian.

If the originals of both the Veterinary Import Permit (VIP) and the Veterinary Health Certificate (VHC) are not available at the time of the cat’s arrival in South Africa, the cat will be kept in quarantine until the documents are presented.

Rabies vaccinations

Dogs and cats must have a valid rabies vaccination. In the case of primary (first) rabies vaccination, the vaccination must be given not more than 12 months and not less than 30 days before the date of import. In the case of a booster rabies vaccination, the vaccination must be given not more than 12 months before the date of import.

Vaccination against rabies is not required for cats or coming from the UK, but we’d advise it. This will ensure that your pet has sufficient immunity against rabies on arrival in South Africa to prevent it from contracting the disease.

Puppies or kittens under 3 months of age do not need to be vaccinated for rabies. But puppies or kittens less than 3 months of age can only travel to South Africa if the dam or queen of the puppy or kitten has been vaccinated for rabies more than 30 days before and less than 12 months before the. Puppies and kittens must be vaccinated for rabies after arrival in South Africa at 3 months of age and proof of the vaccination must be presented to the South African Veterinary Authorities.

South America

Requirements vary enormously between countries in South America, so call us for advice on travelling there with your dog or cat.


Paperwork and requirements

For entry to the UAE, your cat or dog will need:

  • A DEFRA Export Health Certificate.
  • An import permit issued by the UAE’s ministry of agriculture and fisheries.
  • To be over 4 months of age at the time of travel.
  • To have a microchip implanted.

Vaccinations for cats

If you’re travelling to the UAE, the following vaccinations must be given no more than 12 months before the day of travel:

  • Feline pan leukcopenia.
  • Feline rhinotrachitis.
  • Feline calicivirus.

Vaccinations for dogs

For dogs, the following vaccinations must be given no more than 12 months before you travel:

  • Canine distemper virus.
  • Canine parvovirus.
  • Infectious canine hepatitis.
  • Leptospirosis.

Rabies vaccinations

When applying for your import permit, the UAE ministry of agriculture and fisheries will need to see proof of all vaccinations. All cats and dogs travelling to the UAE must be vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before you travel.


The following dog breeds are not allowed in to the UAE:

  • Pit Bull Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier.
  • Japanese Tosa.
  • Dogo Argentino and Argentinean Mastiff.
  • Fila Brasileiro and Brazilian Mastiff.
  • Wolf/ Dog hybrid (Any dog crossed with a wolf).
  • American Staffordshire Terrier.


Transporting cats and dogs to the USA is really straightforward, but not all aircraft are suitable for carrying animals. Talk us through your plans and we’ll recommend which flights are best.

All cats and dogs need an examination at the vet no more than 10 days before you travel. Each state has its own requirement but many require a rabies vaccination.

Snub nose dogs

When travelling to the USA there can be restrictions on certain breeds, such as bulldogs, Pekinese and pugs. These restrictions may cover age, size and temperature on the day of travel. Talk to us about the details and we’ll let you know the latest situation.

Please be aware it is the pet owner’s responsibility to liaise with your vet and ensure all the documentation is in line with UK standards well in advance of travel.