Exclusive Pet Travel

Call us now 0800 012 9199

Flying from
the UK

There’s a lot to think about if you’re taking your pet abroad. But that’s what we’re here for. We know the process inside and out and have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the process of animal transport. As pet lovers, we also appreciate that your furry friend is the most important animal in the world, so we’re constantly finding new ways to improve comfort and always work to IATA and DEFRA approved standards.

Here are a few of the questions we get asked most.


How will my pet travel?

Every pet we transport travels in an IATA approved travel kennel. These really help dogs and cats feel comfortable, safe and secure. We also deliver every travel kennel to your home as far in advance as possible, so your pet can get used to it.
Read more about travel kennels

Your pet must have plenty of room to move around, with at least 3 to 4 inches of space all around them. We stock approved travel kennels in every size and can even build bespoke ones for larger dogs. To make sure your dog has enough room you’ll need to get some measuring done.
Read more about measuring your dog.

See our Top 10 Tips for preparing your pet to travel


Is there lots of paperwork?

There’s a fair bit of paperwork. But it doesn’t have to be a hassle. Talk us through your plans and we’ll do as much of the paperwork for you as we can. We’ll also let you know what you need to do. Here’s a rough overview of what you’ll need.

Cats and dogs to the EU

  • Pet passport
  • ‘Fit to fly’ letter from your vet. To get one of these you’ll need to take your pet for a check-up no more than 10 days before you travel.

Cats and dogs to the USA

  • ‘Fit to fly’ letter from your vet. To get one of these you’ll need to take your pet for a check-up no more than 10 days before you travel.
  • In some states, a rabies vaccination. We’ll let you know which ones.

Cats and dogs to other destinations

  • DEFRA Export Health Certificate
  • Sometimes, an import permit. We’ll let you know what you need for specific countries.
  • Some countries may have additional requirements. See our Destinations page for details.

Travelling with another type of animal?

For pets such as birds, rabbits, guinea pigs and reptiles, different countries have different requirements. So if your animal friend is something out of the ordinary call us on 0800 012 9199 or email us at info@gohightails.com

Government guidance on pet passports

Get the official lowdown here


When do I need to book?

We generally need about 2 weeks notice, but we can do it quicker. We recommend getting in touch as early as possible, meaning we can deliver your travel kennel early and help your pet become familiar with it. Remembering a prepared pet is a happy pet.

Other things to bear in mind


Depending on your destination, you might need to apply for permits. We’ll happily take care of the paperwork, but it may take time to get processed.

Export Health Certificate

Outside the EU or USA you’ll also need one of these. They’re supplied by DEFRA. Again, they will need some time to process the paperwork. https://www.gov.uk/exporting-live-animals-or-animal-products-to-non-eu-countries


What information do High Tails need?

To book your flight we’ll need you to give us:

  • Your UK contact details.
  • Emergency contact details for day of travel.
  • Weight and measurements of your pet/pets.
  • Exact measurements (length, width and height) and the exact weight. Of the travel kennel. We’ll also need to check that it meets IATA standards.
  • Full contact details of the person collecting at the arrival destination.
  • We may also need veterinary documentation.

What if I need to change the date?

That’s fine. Let us know more than 7 working days before your pet’s travel date and we’ll simply rearrange it. If you need to postpone your pet’s travel at less than 7 working days notice, a fee may apply.


What if I need to cancel?

That depends on the details of your travel. All our cancellation policies will be outlined in your terms and conditions.


Can you arrange kennel or cattery stays?

Yes. We know excellent places for you pet to stay, either overnight or for longer. We make sure they all meet high standards and are places we’d be happy to leave our own pets. Alternatively we can arrange ‘home stay’ services close to major airports too.


How do I pay?

Pay over the phone or use the ‘link to pay’ button to use your credit card online. Either’s fine. Both options are provided in association with WorldPay, so every payment is completely secure.

Please be aware it is the pet owner’s responsibility to liaise with your vet and ensure all the documentation is in line with UK standards well in advance of travel.

Dog Cat Dog and Cat Dog Running
Caring for them all the way Rabbit